Genetically modified corn: call for submissions


Monday, 22 June, 2015

Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) has called for submissions on an application to allow food derived from a genetically modified corn line.

FSANZ Chief Executive Officer Steve McCutcheon said the corn line had been genetically modified to be tolerant to the herbicide glufosinate ammonium, and for protection against common corn pests.

“FSANZ has completed its safety assessment on this application and found there were no potential public health or safety concerns,” Mr McCutcheon said.

“FSANZ has determined that food derived from this corn line is as safe for human consumption as food derived from conventional corn cultivars.”

Interested stakeholders are invited to comment on the application. The closing date for submissions is 14 July 2015.

Related News

Food industry members of Australia's National Food Council

The government has annnounced the members of Australia's first National Food Council, which...

Yume Food enters liquidation, sale process launched

Yume Food Australia, the digital trading platform that enables major food manufacturers to sell...

Australian meat pie maker secures finance for its growth plans

The National Reconstruction Fund Corporation is making a $36 million debt investment in Patties...


  • All content Copyright © 2025 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd