Industry rallies to support Adelaide growers affected by 2016 floods


Wednesday, 15 February, 2017


Sa growers flood appeal

In late 2016, almost 300 growers and an estimated 1500 ha of land in South Australia’s Northern Adelaide Plains were significantly impacted by severe weather conditions and flooding, with damage and losses estimated at around $50 million.

Since then, farmers in the region have experienced many challenges relating to low seed volumes to resow crops, decreased availability of fungicide to treat surviving crops, damage caused by weeds and insects, and widespread damage to infrastructure.

To provide support for those impacted, vegetable and potato industry body AUSVEG has teamed up with the South Australian Produce Market to establish the South Australia (SA) Growers Flood Appeal.

Launched in October, the appeal has rallied support from the community, industry partners and businesses to raise funds to help with the purchase of seedlings and assist with the re-establishment of viable crops for the future.

Speaking about the SA Growers Flood Appeal, South Australian Produce Market CEO Angelo Demasi extended special thanks to major donors Brisbane Markets, CHEP, Government of South Australia, IGA, ORORA, South Australian Chamber of Fruit and Vegetables, South Australian Produce Market and Visy. “Thanks to their generous donations and those from South Australians and businesses such as Foodbank, The Horticultural Coalition of SA and SA Mushrooms, we’ve been able to raise $152,000. This financial aid has started to be given out to help farmers get back onto their feet.”

Comfresh Group is a grower of fresh produce impacted by the flooding.

“It was difficult to see all the hard work you put into growing produce throughout the year go to waste due to crops being underwater and spoiled,” said Comfresh Group’s sales manager, Jamie Dodds.

“Since the severe flooding occurred, it has been great to see the industry and community really come together to help producers like us get back onto our feet. Our team really appreciates all the support we have received and the generosity of those who supported growers like us through the SA Growers Flood Appeal,” said Dodds.

Funds from the SA Growers Flood Appeal are currently being administered by Foodbank SA, with applications for financial assistance being assessed by an independent panel of growers and industry members. For more information on the appeal, email enquiry@saproducemarket.com.au or call 08 8349 4493.

Image caption (left to right): Susie Green, CEO, Apple and Pear Growers Association of South Australia; the Hon Leon Bignell, SA Minister for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries, Forests, Tourism, Recreation and Sport, and Racing; Angelo Demasi, CEO, South Australian Produce Market; Tony Schirripa State Manager of South Australia – Premier/LaManna Group; Paul Pogas, Deputy Chairman, Fresh Markets Australia; and Alan Brunato, Supply Chain Solutions Manager, CHEP Australia.

Related News

Dairy Tomorrow — NZ dairy sector launches new strategic vision

New Zealand's dairy sector has launched its 'Dairy Tomorrow' strategy, which is...

ABB and Kawasaki partner on cobot project

Industrial automation and robot suppliers ABB and Kawasaki Heavy Industries have announced the...

What to do with excess tofu whey

White, rosé and red might not be the only options on the wine menu in the future, after...


  • All content Copyright © 2017 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd